Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  • Interests:FF of course
  • Favorite Team:NY Jets

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Screen_Hunter_40_Feb_21_14_51.jpg

While a few on the boards were supportive of a change in Year 2, I received countless emails to keep the roster size as is. Simply put, roster size is such an important issue with regards to team construction and dealing of draft picks in the beginning. It affects how you draft and how you build your initial team. We debated even putting this one on the survey because we didn't want to get everyone's hopes up, but we decided that IF we could get the players to shoulder a bit more of the responsibility for the future well being of the team, then we would take a look at the results. The majority of participants aren't willing to put their money behind such a huge change, so we'll have to table this for future discussion. 

Screen_Hunter_41_Feb_21_14_51.jpg

No changes to tanking, but please help us keep an eye out for it. 

Screen_Hunter_42_Feb_21_14_51.jpg

The majority has certainly spoken on this issue. We are considering this move but want to make sure the integrity of our Championship format is not compromised. We are in talks with our software provider to determine if they can modify the waivers to allow for just kicker pickups to eliminate the need for rostering a backup kicker. 

Screen_Hunter_43_Feb_21_14_52.jpg

Done deal. Consider this changed. 

Screen_Hunter_44_Feb_21_14_52.jpg

Hahahaha... Somebody from each league throw up a poll on your league page and take the pulse. Whatever the majority of each league decides is fine by us. 

Screen_Hunter_45_Feb_21_14_52.jpg

Pretty down the middle on this one as well so I don't think we'll be making any changes here. However, our team competitiveness clause requires you to field the best lineup possible at all times, so don't go cutting your only kicker in the middle of the season. 

Screen_Hunter_46_Feb_21_14_52.jpg

We are considering this as a mild compromise to those advocates of a larger roster, but in actuality it is only there for emergency purposes. I can sympathize with those who had 3+ players out on Injured reserve and had to waste a roster spot this year. Terrible!

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Visit us on our NEW Forums

Your FFToolbox Email is your new account. Click FORGOT Password to create a new password. 

#2 EatYouAlive

EatYouAlive

Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Scott,

On the issue of waiver pick ups...Could you expand that to QB's and TE's as well?

Most of us know what happened with Shady but my own example is I had Aaron Rodgers. He got hurt around week 10. I picked up Ryan Fitzpatrick. Aaron Rodgers never ended up coming back and if Fitz had gotten injured, I would have been rostering 2 QB's and would have been stuck after week 13. I just don't understand why people should roster 2-3 QB's, TE's, Kickers going into week 13 because we can't pick up any after that. I think this affects us even more currently because every year there seems to be more and more guys that are week to week as far as injuries and possibly playing. 

#3 Scott Atkins

Scott Atkins

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Scott,

On the issue of waiver pick ups...Could you expand that to QB's and TE's as well?

Most of us know what happened with Shady but my own example is I had Aaron Rodgers. He got hurt around week 10. I picked up Ryan Fitzpatrick. Aaron Rodgers never ended up coming back and if Fitz had gotten injured, I would have been rostering 2 QB's and would have been stuck after week 13. I just don't understand why people should roster 2-3 QB's, TE's, Kickers going into week 13 because we can't pick up any after that. I think this affects us even more currently because every year there seems to be more and more guys that are week to week as far as injuries and possibly playing. 

Good thought Ryan. Let me find out. 

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Your FFToolbox Email is your new account. Click FORGOT Password to create a new password. 

#4 Crown Their Ash

Crown Their Ash

Super-Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Favorite Team:Chicago Bears

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

we are not just playing for our leagues championship but for the overall 1st the 5th place money.  this rule is about leveling the playing field across 12 leagues during the playoffs.  the luck of a player being available on waiver wires in 1 league vs. not in others is not worth un-leveling the playing field.  i say NO to waiver wire pick ups during the playoffs.

in preparation for the playoffs i rostered 3 QBs, 3TEs and 2 PKs.  what's the big deal?

Edited by Crown Their Ash, 21 February 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#5 Scott Atkins

Scott Atkins

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

we are not just playing for our leagues championship but for the overall 1st the 5th place money.  this rule is about leveling the playing field across 12 leagues during the playoffs.  the luck of a player being available on waiver wires in 1 league vs. not in others is not worth un-leveling the playing field.  i say NO to waiver wire pick ups during the playoffs.

in preparation for the playoffs i rostered 3 QBs, 3TEs and 2 PKs.  what's the big deal?

True, but 70% of the players voiced their approval of the move. We should have an an answer soon.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

#6 Crown Their Ash

Crown Their Ash

Super-Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

the dfwc championship is a key differentiator over other dynasty products like the ffpc.  your playoff format is the best out there.  the 70% may not understand the subtleties that are in play here.  fine tuning is cool but is this change fine tuning?  you know my answer

Edited by Crown Their Ash, 21 February 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#7 Scott Atkins

Scott Atkins

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

True, but... close to 70% of the prizes go back to the league. The focus has to stay there doesn't it?

ANNOUNCEMENT!

#8 Crown Their Ash

Crown Their Ash

Super-Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

having or not having waivers has no impact on the league championship

but having waivers impacts the dfwc championship and also the outcome of the dynasty king or queen

Edited by Crown Their Ash, 21 February 2014 - 10:18 PM.

#9 Scott Atkins

Scott Atkins

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

Yes it has to be. We should have an answer soon. Maybe it's just me, but I do enjoy the thrill of roster management, heading into the playoffs, but am totally sympathetic to those who were hit with injuries.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

#10 Redshirted

Redshirted

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

having or not having waivers has no impact on the league championship

but having waivers impacts the dfwc championship and also the outcome of the dynasty king or queen

Pretty sure the league championship is played out during weeks 13-16 as well. Of course not having waivers or a complete lineup affects the league finals as well.

#11 EatYouAlive

EatYouAlive

Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

Crown,

I think the difference here is proper roster management vs. bad luck. 

Lets just use the example you have AP starting and he gets injured after week 13. You have to drop down to a lesser RB, lets say Sjax, Bell, etc. That's roster management and still gives you a chance. 

Now lets say you have two healthy QB's going into week 13 and both get injured. You are essentially taken out of contention of the championship for a fluke event.

Using your own example, if you had rostered 3 QB's and all of them got hurt after that week, would that necessarily be fair? Should you have rostered 4 QB's instead? I think the point being here is; we work our ass off to get into the playoffs and shouldn't be taken out by a fluke event or a software limitation. 

Plus it seems the overwhelming majority agree something should be done. What gets done is left up to Scott and crew. 

Edited by EatYouAlive, 21 February 2014 - 11:10 PM.

#12 Godahl11

Godahl11

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:34 AM

I see where crown is coming from in a sense but truth be told the playing field across the board will never be exactly level. Some leagues are very active with trades and others stand pat. Its just 1 of the many wrinkles dfwc offers. I'll use this example again, team A is heading into the playoffs with gronk and cameron as their tes, to me they didnt at all mismanage their squad, but due to bad luck this year they would have been toast. The reality is whoever they are able to pick up of the ww (if they even have money left to do so) will hardly be a game changer but atleast offers them more then a zero every week

#13 Crown Their Ash

Crown Their Ash

Super-Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

is there ANY fantasy football format that involves a cross divisional playoff contest that allows waivers during week 13-16?

#14 Godahl11

Godahl11

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Crown, I truly have no idea if there are any other formats that allow cross divisional. But seeing as you brought it up I'm guessing the answer is no. To me that's a non factor in what dfwc decides to go with, someone has to be the first when nobody else has done it prior. Wright brothers, Obama, Jamaican bobsled etc.... just 1 man's opinion on the matter, best of luck to you going forward

#15 Mrziggy

Mrziggy

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Arts and sports
  • Favorite Team:Packers

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Will the second cutdown date be instituted this year?

This rule change increases the value of 2014 draft picks tremendously. 

I agree with  the rule change, but it should affect 2015 picks not 2014 picks which were a big part of our start-up draft strategy.

#16 TXTINCUP

TXTINCUP

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

I agree with MrZiggy.  And also just an FYI, the person who won it all actually suffered through the waiver issue and still won when Hartley was let go from N.O. so he ran the championship without a kicker, to me I could fall on either side of the waiver issue.  

#17 Scott Atkins

Scott Atkins

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

You spoke, we listened.

Because of the overwhelming majority of the DFWC Community that voted, we are implementing the following changes for the 2014 Season. 

1. We will allow all free agent waivers between the weeks of 1 through 16 for all DFWC leagues in 2014. 

While we don't necessarily agree with the logic, we're not here to tell you that we know best. We know that in large contests like the FFWC, each league has a life of it's own with regards to waiver activity and bid money management. We do not like the fact that in one league, you can change your roster and add the Cleveland Browns defense because they have a hot week 16 matchup against the rookie QB getting a start. In other leagues, the bidding was more active or the Browns were rostered. To us, that just doesn't feel right. We have always believed in the motto, "you ride the guys that got you here", and you battle it out. 

Again, this comes down to an OVERWHELMING majority requesting the change. We also support the change due to the fact that the majority of prizing comes from the league of 12 itself. If this contest were designed with smaller league prizes and a top heavy championship round, things might be different. We will RE-POLL this question after the completion of 2014 to make sure the DFWC Player Community still feel the same way.

2. For the 2014 Season: the 2nd Cutdown date will move from before the 1st Pre-season week to AFTER the 3rd week of Pre-Season. 

Again, this comes down to an OVERWHELMING majority requesting the change. As a contest, we liked the fact that our bidding was extremely active in the 2013 Pre-season, and we expect it will be again, but that activity will now happen in week 4 of the Pre-Season, the first week of waivers for the DFWC leading up to the regular season. 

3. For the 2014 Season: You will now have 3 Injured Reserve Spots instead of only 2.

Again, you must wait until the official IR designation to move the player to IR but 3 will give those teams struck by bad luck a little breathing room on their roster. 

Thank you for all of your support and your patience as we navigate this awesome contest in it's early years. We are building something pretty special here. 

Lock in your spot in the 2014 DFWC NOW - Now accepting your 2014 Dues for NEW Startup Leagues. 

ANNOUNCEMENT!

#18 EatYouAlive

EatYouAlive

Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Scott and crew did a good job listening to the players here. Good work and thanks guys. Good luck all for 2014-15 season!

#19 Smokey T-bone

Smokey T-bone

Ultra-Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy Football
  • Favorite Team:Tennessee Titans

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:07 AM

Scott,

It doesn't look like the 2014 rules have been updated to reflect these changes.  

http://www.fftoolbox...m?section=rules

You guys should do that ASAP to avoid confusion, particularly for any new players this year.

QB ARodgers, Locker
RB Charles, CJ2k, Ellington, STaylor, Helu
WR Garcon, Decker, Wright, Allen, Sanders, Stills, SJohnson, HDouglas
TE VDavis, Clay, Kelce
K Prater
Def Seahawks

#20 Scott Atkins

Scott Atkins

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

Scott,

It doesn't look like the 2014 rules have been updated to reflect these changes.  

http://www.fftoolbox...m?section=rules

You guys should do that ASAP to avoid confusion, particularly for any new players this year.

Thanks Ben, we made the changes, but it looks like the page didn't update. I'll report that today.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

#21 plankmanroad

plankmanroad

Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

Changing the 2nd cutdown date this year is wrong. Teams strategized based on this rule. This is like changing team roster size this year. How do you think the teams that this benefited voted ?

#22 UnclePauly

UnclePauly

Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

what happened to the clock change..I've never been in a league where this has been a problem but it seems certain owners have no consideration for their leaguemates.This is a huge problem in league 5 IMO.

#23 Scott Atkins

Scott Atkins

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

Yes, some players do like to take their time and consult with their friends. Some aren't as experienced and need more time. We always advise owners to try and enjoy the draft, no matter how much time is taken. To change it required majority (7) votes. I know it can be tough for those who like to keep the draft moving. You can always email us and we will reach out on your behalf.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users